The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2022.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Agent" means an adult who has the authority to make health care treatment decisions for another person, referred to as the principal, pursuant to a health care power of attorney.
2. "Artificially administered" means providing food or fluid through a medically invasive procedure.
3. "Attending physician" means a physician who has the primary responsibility for a principal's health care.
4. "Comfort care" means treatment given in an attempt to protect and enhance the quality of life without artificially prolonging that life.
5. "Health care directive" means a document drafted in substantial compliance with this chapter, including a mental health care power of attorney, to deal with a person's future health care decisions.
6. "Health care power of attorney" means a written designation of an agent to make health care decisions that meets the requirements of section 36-3221 and that comes into effect and is durable as provided in section 36-3223, subsection A.
7. "Health care provider" means a natural person who is licensed under title 32, chapter 11, 13, 15, 17 or 25, a hospice as defined in section 36-401 that is licensed under chapter 4 of this title or an organization that is licensed under this title, that renders health care designed to prevent, diagnose or treat illness or injury and that employs persons licensed under title 32, chapter 11, 13, 15, 17 or 25.
8. "Inpatient psychiatric facility" means a hospital that contains an organized psychiatric services unit or a special hospital that is licensed to provide psychiatric services.
9. "Interested person" means the patient, a person listed under section 36-3231, subsection A, a health care provider directly involved in the patient's medical care or an employee of a health care provider.
10. "Living will" means a statement written either by a person who has not written a health care power of attorney or by the principal as an attachment to a health care power of attorney and intended to guide or control the health care treatment decisions that can be made on that person's behalf.
11. "Mental health care power of attorney" means a written designation of an agency to make mental health care decisions that meets the requirements of section 36-3281.
12. "Physician" means a doctor of medicine licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 13 or doctor of osteopathic medicine licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 17.
13. "Principal" means a person who is the subject of a health care power of attorney.
14. "Qualifying health information exchange organization" means a nonprofit health information organization as defined in section 36-3801 that is designated by the department of health services pursuant to section 36-3291 to operate the health care directives registry.
15. "Surrogate" means a person authorized to make health care decisions for a patient by a power of attorney, a court order or the provisions of section 36-3231.