The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 56th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2023.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
32-506. Nonapplicability of chapter
This chapter does not apply to the following persons while in the proper discharge of their professional duties:
1. Medical practitioners who are licensed pursuant to this title if the practices treat physical or mental ailments or disease.
2. Commissioned physicians and surgeons who are serving in the armed forces of the United States or other federal agencies.
3. Persons who are licensed pursuant to chapter 3 or 12 of this title.
4. Students who are attending schools licensed pursuant to this chapter while they are on school premises during school hours or off campus at a school-sponsored event.
5. Persons employed by theatrical groups who apply makeup, oils and cosmetics.
6. Persons who sell makeup, oils and cosmetics and who apply such products during the process of selling such products.
7. Shampoo assistants who shampoo hair under the direction of a cosmetologist or hairstylist licensed pursuant to this chapter.
8. Services performed by and for persons who are in the custody of the state department of corrections.
9. Persons who apply makeup, oils and cosmetics to patients in a hospital, nursing home or residential care institution with the consent of the patient and the hospital, nursing home or residential care institution.
10. Persons who provide a service that results in tension on hair strands or roots by twisting, wrapping, weaving, extending, locking or braiding if the service does not include the application of dyes, reactive chemicals or other preparations to alter the color of the hair or to straighten, curl or alter the structure of the hair.
11. Persons who provide threading.
12. Persons who provide tanning services by means of airbrushing, tanning beds or spray tanning.
13. Persons who apply makeup, including eyelash enhancements. This paragraph does not apply if a person is engaging in the practice of aesthetics or cosmetology. A person who is exempt pursuant to this paragraph shall post a sign in a conspicuous location in the person's place of business notifying the public that the person's services are not regulated by the board.
14. Persons who dry, style, arrange, dress, curl, hot iron or shampoo and condition hair if the service does not include applying reactive chemicals to permanently straighten, curl or alter the structure of the hair and if the person takes and completes a class relating to sanitation, infection protection and law review that is provided by the board or its designee. This paragraph does not apply if a person is engaging in the practice of aesthetics or cosmetology. A person who is exempt pursuant to this paragraph shall post a sign in a conspicuous location in the person's place of business notifying the public that the person's services are not regulated by the board.
15. Persons who are participating in a department of economic security-approved apprenticeship program in cosmetology as described in section 32-511 while working with a mentor in an establishment that is licensed by the board.
16. Persons who are licensed in another state and who are working in this state at a charitable event that benefits a nonprofit organization.
17. Persons who are licensed in another state, who are in this state for not more than two weeks and who provide services for persons who are attending an athletic, charitable, artistic or social event in this state.
18. Persons who are enrolled in a school that is licensed by the board and who shampoo, rinse and apply cream rinse, conditioners and reconstructors to hair, including hair that has been treated with color or bleach.