The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-2471 - Honored military license plates; procedures; transfers; violation; classification
28-2471. Honored military license plates; procedures; transfers; violation; classification
A. The department shall issue or renew military license plates issued pursuant to this article in lieu of the regular license plates pursuant to the following conditions and procedures and only if the requirements prescribed by this article for the requested license plates are met:
1. A person who is the registered owner of a vehicle registered with the department or who applies for an original or renewal registration of a vehicle may submit to the department a completed application form as prescribed by the department.
2. The department shall issue license plates only to the owner or lessee of a vehicle that is currently registered, including any vehicle that has a declared gross weight, as defined in section 28-5431, of twenty-six thousand pounds or less.
B. On notification to the department, a person who is issued license plates pursuant to this article may transfer the license plates to another vehicle for which the person is the registered owner or lessee. If a person who is issued license plates sells, trades or otherwise releases ownership of the vehicle on which the plates have been displayed, the person shall immediately report the transfer of the plates to the department or the person shall surrender the plates to the department as prescribed by the director. It is unlawful for a person to whom the plates have been issued to knowingly permit them to be displayed on a vehicle except the vehicle authorized by the department.
C. The owner shall affix the license plates to the vehicle for which registration is sought in lieu of the regular license plates.
D. A person is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor who:
1. Violates subsection B of this section.
2. Fraudulently gives false or fictitious information in the application for or renewal of license plates issued pursuant to this article.
3. Conceals a material fact or otherwise commits fraud in the application for or renewal of license plates issued pursuant to this article.