The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
A. The department may conduct the following levels of motor vehicle inspections:
1. Level one. A level one inspection consists of matching the public vehicle identification number and a secondary vehicle identification number to the vehicle ownership documents to determine the identity of the vehicle.
2. Level two. A level two inspection consists of matching the public vehicle identification number, a secondary vehicle identification number and the confidential vehicle identification number to the vehicle ownership documents to determine the identity of the vehicle.
3. Level three. A level three inspection consists of a level two inspection plus verification of vehicle identification numbers on, at the discretion of the inspector, some or all component parts to determine the identity of the vehicle and that the vehicle is properly equipped for highway use.
B. A person who submits a motor vehicle to the department for inspection shall pay the following fees:
1. For a level two inspection, twenty dollars.
2. For a level three inspection, fifty dollars.
C. The department shall deposit the inspection fees in the vehicle inspection and certificate of title enforcement fund established by section 28-2012.
D. An inspection fee is not required for an inspection of a motor vehicle owned by a foreign government, by a consul or any other representative of a foreign government, by the United States, by a state or political subdivision of a state or by an Indian tribal government.