28-1178. Operation of off-highway vehicles; exceptions
A person may operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in this state without an off-highway vehicle user indicia issued pursuant to section 28-1177 if any of the following applies:
1. The person is participating in an off-highway special event.
2. The person is operating an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle on private land.
3. The person is loading or unloading an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle from a vehicle.
4. During a period of emergency or if the operation is directed by a peace officer or other public authority.
5. All of the following apply:
(a) The person is not a resident of this state.
(b) The person owns the vehicle.
(c) The vehicle displays a current off-highway vehicle user indicia or registration from the person's state of residency.
(d) The vehicle is not in this state for more than thirty consecutive days.