28-332 - Department of transportation jurisdiction; duties; divisions
28-332. Department of transportation jurisdiction; duties; divisions
A. The exclusive control and jurisdiction over state highways, state routes, state owned airports and all state owned transportation systems or modes are vested in the department of transportation.
B. The department shall:
1. Register motor vehicles and aircraft, license drivers, collect revenues, enforce motor vehicle and aviation statutes and perform related functions.
2. Do multimodal state transportation planning, cooperate and coordinate transportation planning with local governments and establish an annually updated priority program of capital improvements for all transportation modes.
3. Design and construct transportation facilities in accordance with a priority plan and maintain and operate state highways, state owned airports and state public transportation systems.
4. Investigate new transportation systems and cooperate with and advise local governments concerning the development and operation of public transit systems.
5. Have administrative jurisdiction of transportation safety programs and implement them in accordance with applicable law.
C. In order to carry out the responsibilities enumerated in subsection B of this section, the department is organized into the following divisions:
1. Motor vehicle.
2. Transportation planning.
5. Public transit.
6. Administrative services.
D. The director may do any of the following:
1. Establish divisions in addition to those prescribed in subsection C of this section.