In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Clinical laboratory" has the same meaning prescribed in section 36-451.
2. "Contractor" means an agency or service that duplicates medical records on behalf of health care providers.
3. "Department" means the department of health services.
4. "Health care decision maker" means an individual who is authorized to make health care treatment decisions for the patient, including a parent of a minor or an individual who is authorized pursuant to section 8-514.05, title 14, chapter 5, article 2 or 3 or section 36-3221, 36-3231 or 36-3281.
5. "Health care provider" means:
(a) A person who is licensed pursuant to title 32 and who maintains medical records.
(b) A health care institution as defined in section 36-401.
(c) An ambulance service as defined in section 36-2201.
(d) A health care services organization licensed pursuant to title 20, chapter 4, article 9.
6. "Medical records" means all communications related to a patient's physical or mental health or condition that are recorded in any form or medium and that are maintained for purposes of patient diagnosis or treatment, including medical records that are prepared by a health care provider or by other providers. Medical records do not include materials that are prepared in connection with utilization review, peer review or quality assurance activities, including records that a health care provider prepares pursuant to section 36-441, 36-445, 36-2402 or 36-2917. Medical records do not include recorded telephone and radio calls to and from a publicly operated emergency dispatch office relating to requests for emergency services or reports of suspected criminal activity, but include communications that are recorded in any form or medium between emergency medical personnel and medical personnel concerning the diagnosis or treatment of a person.
7. "Payment records" means all communications related to payment for a patient's health care that contain individually identifiable information.
8. "Source data" means information that is summarized, interpreted or reported in the medical record, including x-rays and other diagnostic images.