The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
45-812.01. Groundwater savings facility permit
A. A person may apply to the director for a groundwater savings facility permit and may operate a groundwater savings facility only pursuant to a permit.
B. The director may issue a permit to operate a groundwater savings facility if the director determines that all of the following apply:
1. Operation of the facility will cause the direct reduction or elimination of groundwater withdrawals in an active management area or an irrigation non-expansion area by means of delivery of water other than groundwater pumped from within that active management area or irrigation non-expansion area that the recipient will use in lieu of groundwater that the recipient would otherwise have used.
2. The applicant will deliver water other than groundwater pumped from within the active management area or irrigation non-expansion area in which the groundwater savings facility is located to an identified groundwater user who will use and agrees in writing to use the water delivered to the facility on a gallon-for-gallon substitute basis directly in lieu of groundwater that otherwise would have been pumped from within the active management area or irrigation non-expansion area.
3. The in lieu water is the only reasonably available source of water for the recipient other than groundwater pumped from within the same active management area or irrigation non-expansion area in which the groundwater savings facility is located.
4. The water delivered as in lieu water would not have been a reasonable alternative source of water for the recipient except through the operation of the groundwater savings facility.
5. The water delivered to the recipient as in lieu water was not delivered before October 1, 1990.
6. The applicant has submitted a plan satisfactory to the director that describes how the applicant will prove the quantity of groundwater saved at the facility each year and what evidence will be submitted with the applicant's annual report as required by section 45-875.01 to prove the groundwater savings. The plan may rely on the following factors:
(a) The recipient's cost of pumping groundwater relative to the cost of in lieu water and alternative sources of water available to the recipient.
(b) The historic quantity of groundwater pumped by the recipient at the location of the intended use of the in lieu water.
(c) The recipient's anticipated demand for groundwater and anticipated total demand for water, including groundwater.
(d) The recipient's legal right to withdraw or use groundwater pursuant to chapter 2 of this title.
(e) The amount of central Arizona project water for which the recipient anticipates accepting delivery.
(f) The historic amount of power used to pump groundwater at the groundwater savings facility compared to the power used during a year in which the recipient received in lieu water.
(g) The factors that prevent the recipient from using the water delivered as in lieu water without the operation of the groundwater savings facility.
(h) Any other criteria the director may deem to be relevant.