Senator Al Melvin, Republican for District 26, is committed to serving the people of Southern Arizona. As an educator, businessman, and veteran, he is committed to bringing vision, integrity and leadership to the Arizona State Senate.
Originally from Helena, Montana, Al is a graduate of the United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY; the Naval War College, Newport, RI; and the American Graduate School of International Management, Thunderbird Campus in Glendale, Arizona.
In 1999, after 30 years of reserve military service, Al retired as a Captain, U.S.N.R. One of his last duty assignments was Squadron Commander of MPS 2 at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean. He had a parallel 35 year career, including 12 years in the Far East, in international trade and ocean transportation, working for three major steamship corporations. Al's U.S.N.R. and merchant marine careers included nine years at sea. He holds an unlimited tonnage Masters license issued by the USCG. Al was an Adjunct Lecturer for the University of Arizona for six years. He also taught at the University of Phoenix and Western International University, specializing in courses in international trade, transportation, logistics and economics. Al also owns a consulting firm, American Quality International Consulting.
Al Melvin is fighting for:
- Border security to stop deaths in the desert and to save $2 billion a year related to illegal aliens regarding hospitalization, education and incarceration.
- Improved education through maximum parental school choice
- Tax relief for all businesses and property owners throughout Arizona
- Water management including water desalination
- A cleaner environment and more affordable and sustainable energy including solar, wind and nuclear power
- Tort reform to stop frivolous law suits
- Private property rights and second amendment rights
- Improved transportation options including possible toll roads
- A real balanced budget and transparent government spending
- Safe streets and neighborhoods throughout Arizona
- Economic growth and new jobs with improved access to healthcare
- No kill animal shelters throughout Arizona by 2020
- Legislation banning texting while driving
Al Melvin is the Chairman of the Commerce and Energy Committee, Vice-Chairman of the Economic Development and Jobs Creation Committee, and serves on the Border Security, Federalism and States Sovereignty Committee as well as the Appropriations Committee and the Appropriations Subcommittee on Rural Issues, Education and Natural Resources.
Al can be reached at his Senate office by phone at: 602-926-4326, by e-mail at: AMelvin@azleg.gov and on his website at www.votealmelvin.com
Al Melvin understands the challenges facing Arizona and he has the answers! Al believes that Arizona can become the premier state in the Union and will do all that he can to make that happen. Al and his wife, Kou, live on the north side of Tucson with their Basset Hound Bradford. Both golf, with Kou knocking on the door of 80 and Al is still trying to break 100. Al is an Eagle Scout and is a big supporter of the Boy Scouts of America. Al is a Rotarian, a member of the Elks, VFW, American Legion and Knights of Columbus. He is a member of the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) and the Marana and Northern Pima County Chambers of Commerce.