ARIZONA STATE SENATE
Fifty-Fifth Legislature, Second Regular Session
Arizona bicycling special plates
Establishes Arizona bicycling special plates and the Arizona Bicycling Special Plates Fund (Fund).
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) Motor Vehicle Division provides one license plate to every motor vehicle owner for each vehicle registered. ADOT must issue or renew special license plates in lieu of regular license plates under specified conditions and procedures. The fee for obtaining or renewing a special license plate is $25, of which $8 is an administration fee that ADOT deposits in the State Highway Fund (SHF) and $17 is a donation to a specific organization (A.R.S. §§§ 28-2351; 28-2402 and 28-2403).
There is no anticipated fiscal impact to the state General Fund associated with this legislation.
1. Requires ADOT to issue an Arizona bicycling special plate if, by December 31, 2022, a person pays the $32,000 implementation fee to ADOT.
2. Requires the person who pays the $32,000 fee to design the Arizona bicycling special plates, subject to approval by ADOT.
3. Allows the Director of ADOT (Director) to combine a request for an Arizona bicycling special plate with a request for a personalized special plate.
4. Specifies that a combined request must be submitted on a form prescribed by the Director and is subject to the fees for both the Arizona bicycling special plate and personalized license plate.
5. Specifies that, of the $25 fee required to obtain and renew an Arizona bicycling special plate, $8 is an administration fee and $17 is an annual donation.
6. Establishes the Fund which is to be administered by the Director.
7. Requires the first $32,000 in the Fund to be reimbursed to the person who paid the initial implementation fee.
8. Prohibits the Director from spending more than 10 percent of the monies deposited annually to administer the Fund.
9. Specifies that the monies in the Fund are continuously appropriated.
10. Requires the Director to annually allocate monies from the Fund, excluding administrative fees, to an entity that is qualified as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
11. Requires the entity to:
a) produce bicycling events in Arizona for community, charity and wellness;
b) have raised at least $101 million for charities;
c) have been in existence for at least 37 years;
d) annually hold the largest bicycling event in the United States on the Saturday before Thanksgiving that attracts over 6,000 cyclists of all ages and abilities from around the world; and
e) have all the following objectives:
i. to aid in the economic development of Arizona;
ii. to establish Arizona as the bicycle center of the United States;
iii. to encourage individuals to adopt bicycling as a natural daily life activity; and
iv. to produce bicycling events for bicyclists of all ages and abilities.
12. Requires ADOT to deposit all Arizona bicycling special plate administration fees in the SHF and all donations collected in the Fund.
13. Requires, on notice of the Director, the State Treasurer to invest and divest monies in the Fund, and credit monies earned to the Fund.
14. Makes conforming changes.
15. Becomes effective on the general effective date.
Prepared by Senate Research
February 10, 2022