The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2020.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-2403. Special plates; transfers; violation; classification
A. Except as otherwise provided in this article, the department shall issue or renew special plates in lieu of the regular license plates pursuant to the following conditions and procedures and only if the requirements prescribed by this article for the requested special plates are met:
1. Except as provided in sections 28-2416 and 28-2416.01, a person who is the registered owner of a vehicle registered with the department or who applies for an original or renewal registration of a vehicle may submit to the department a completed application form as prescribed by the department with the fee prescribed by section 28-2402 for special plates in addition to the registration fee prescribed by section 28-2003.
2. Except for plates issued pursuant to sections 28-2404, 28-2412, 28-2413, 28-2414, 28-2416, 28-2416.01, 28-2417 through 28-2468, 28-2472, 28-2473, 28-2474, 28-2475 and 28-2476 and article 14 of this chapter, the special plates shall be the same color as and similar to the design of the regular license plates that is determined by the department.
3. Except as provided in section 28-2416, the department shall issue special plates only to the owner or lessee of a vehicle that is currently registered, including any vehicle that has a declared gross weight, as defined in section 28-5431, of twenty-six thousand pounds or less.
4. Except as provided in sections 28-2416 and 28-2416.01, the department shall charge the fee prescribed by section 28-2402 for each annual renewal of special plates in addition to the registration fee prescribed by section 28-2003.
B. Except as provided in sections 28-2416 and 28-2416.01, on notification to the department and on payment of the transfer fee prescribed by section 28-2402, a person who is issued special plates may transfer the special plates to another vehicle the person owns or leases. Persons who are issued special plates for hearing impaired persons pursuant to section 28-2408 and international symbol of access special plates pursuant to section 28-2409 are exempt from the transfer fee. If a person who is issued special plates sells, trades or otherwise releases ownership of the vehicle on which the plates have been displayed, the person shall immediately report the transfer of the plates to the department or the person shall surrender the plates to the department as prescribed by the director. It is unlawful for a person to whom the plates have been issued to knowingly permit them to be displayed on a vehicle except the vehicle authorized by the department.
C. The special plates shall be affixed to the vehicle for which registration is sought in lieu of the regular license plates.
D. A person is guilty of a class 3 misdemeanor who:
1. Violates subsection B of this section.
2. Fraudulently gives false or fictitious information in the application for or renewal of special plates or placards issued pursuant to this article.
3. Conceals a material fact or otherwise commits fraud in the application for or renewal of special plates or placards issued pursuant to this article.