The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 56th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 56th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2024.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
45-1041. Water exchange permits; fee
A. A person who seeks to give surface water, other than Colorado river water, in a water exchange to which neither section 45-1002, subsection A, paragraph 1 nor 3 applies shall apply to the director for a water exchange permit. The director shall issue either a specific use water exchange permit or a general use water exchange permit, as applicable, if the applicant demonstrates that all of the following apply:
1. The water exchange will be made pursuant to a written contract.
2. The water exchange will not affect vested rights to water.
3. Each party to the water exchange contract has a right to the water the party will give in the water exchange.
4. If an applicant is not a city, town, private water company or irrigation district, any new or increased pumping by the applicant from a well within an active management area pursuant to the water exchange will not unreasonably increase damage to surrounding land or other water users.
5. If an applicant is a city, town, private water company or irrigation district with a service area located partly or wholly in an active management area, any new or increased pumping by the applicant within the applicant's service area pursuant to the water exchange is consistent with the management plan and achievement of the management goal for the active management area.
6. Each party to a water exchange contract either:
(a) Receives at least ninety per cent of the quantity of water that the other party gives in the water exchange.
(b) Receives at least fifty per cent of the quantity of water that the other party gives in the water exchange, unless otherwise authorized by law, and the director determines the water exchange is beneficial to water management in this state.
B. Subsection A of this section does not apply to the proposed modification of a previously enrolled or permitted water exchange contract that involves surface water other than Colorado river water, if the proposed modification meets both of the following conditions:
1. The proposed modification involves the addition of one or more of the following water sources as the only new or additional water source of exchange:
(a) Colorado river water.
(d) Surface water that is captured in the additional storage capacity created by modified Roosevelt dam after April 9, 1986.
2. Notice of the proposed modification is filed by the person seeking the modification pursuant to section 45-1051 and is subject to the requirements of that section and the conditions prescribed by section 45-1052.
C. Any person may apply for a specific use water exchange permit. A specific use permit allows the parties to exchange specific sources of water in specific quantities for the uses and in the locations specified in the permit.
D. Two or more political subdivisions of this state, or one or more political subdivisions and one or more private water companies, Indian communities, agencies of this state or agencies of the United States may apply for a general use water exchange permit. A general use permit shall specify that the holders may engage in one or more exchanges of water at any time during the term of the permit. The water received pursuant to a general use permit may be used for any lawful purpose specified in the permit. Before making any exchange pursuant to a general use permit, the parties to the permit shall notify the director of the amounts of water to be exchanged and the specific uses to which each source of water will be applied.
E. An application for a water exchange permit shall be accompanied by a filing fee in an amount to be determined by rule by the director to cover the cost of administering this article.
F. The director shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, all fees received under this section in the water resources fund established by section 45-117.