The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2020.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
44-1642.01 - Prohibited scrap metal transactions; exceptions; violation; classification
44-1642.01. Prohibited scrap metal transactions; exceptions; violation; classification
A. A scrap metal dealer shall not knowingly purchase the following types of scrap metal:
1. Metal manhole covers that are used to cover street or alley service personnel access entrances to municipal sewers and storm drains.
2. Brass or bronze valves or fittings that are commonly used on structures for access to water for the purpose of extinguishing fires.
3. Brass or bronze commercial potable water backflow preventer valves that are valves commonly used to prevent backflow of potable water into municipal domestic water service systems from commercial structures.
4. Water meters that are used for measurement of the use and consumption of domestic water.
5. Aluminum trench shoring that is commonly used for shoring below ground trenches and excavations for the construction of buildings and structures.
6. Aluminum loading ramps that are manufactured and used for loading motor vehicles for hauling the motor vehicles.
7. Aluminum or stainless steel beer or malt beverage kegs that are commonly used by brewers or producers for the sale and transportation of beer or malt beverages.
8. Catalytic converters. For the purposes of this paragraph, "catalytic converters" means motor vehicle exhaust system parts that are used for controlling the exhaust emissions from motor vehicles and that contain a catalyst metal.
9. Metal municipal storm grates that are used to allow for water drainage from municipal streets or alleys.
B. This section does not apply to or prohibit the purchase or possession of the types of items listed in subsection A of this section and that are acquired in transactions with industrial accounts, with other scrap metal dealers or after the scrap metal is authorized for release by a peace officer of that jurisdiction.
C. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.