The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 56th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2023.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
42-5102. Tax exemption for sales of food; nonexempt sales
A. Except for the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from the sale of food for consumption on the premises, the taxes imposed by this chapter do not apply to the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from sales of food by any of the following:
1. A retailer who conducts an eligible grocery business.
2. A retailer who conducts a business whose primary business is not the sale of food but who sells food which is displayed, packaged and sold in a similar manner as an eligible grocery business.
3. A retailer who sells food and does not provide or make available any facilities for the consumption of food on the premises.
4. A retailer who conducts a delicatessen business either from a counter which is separate from the place and cash register where taxable sales are made or from a counter which has two cash registers which are used to record taxable and tax exempt sales or a retailer who conducts a delicatessen business and who uses a cash register which has at least two tax computing keys which are used to record taxable and tax exempt sales.
5. A retailer who is a street or sidewalk vendor and who uses a pushcart.
6. Vending machines and other types of automatic retailers.
B. The taxes imposed by this chapter do not apply to the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from sales of food by a state university or community college or its designee on its campuses to students using a validated meal ticket or to patients purchasing or consuming food at the Arizona health sciences center.
C. The taxes imposed by this chapter do not apply to the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from sales of food by a retailer to:
1. A regularly organized private or parochial school that offers an educational program for grade twelve or under which may be attended in substitution for a public school pursuant to section 15-802.
2. A child care facility that is licensed under section 36-882 or a child care group home certified under section 36-897.01.
3. A facility which provides on a regular basis care and supervision of persons who, because of age or a mental or physical condition, are incapable of caring for themselves and where they are unaccompanied by their custodians or guardians for periods of less than twenty-four hours a day.
4. An organization which is tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the internal revenue code and which provides the articles to persons with a nominal charge or without a monetary charge.
5. A prison, jail or other institution under the jurisdiction of the state department of corrections, the department of public safety, the department of juvenile corrections or a county sheriff for consumption on the premises.
D. Notwithstanding subsection A of this section, the taxes imposed by this chapter do not apply to the gross proceeds of sales or gross income from sales of low or reduced cost articles of food or drink to eligible elderly or homeless persons or persons with a disability by a business subject to tax under section 42-5074 that contracts with the department of economic security and that is approved by the food and nutrition service of the United States department of agriculture pursuant to the supplemental nutrition assistance program established by the food and nutrition act of 2008 (P.L. 110-246; 122 Stat. 1651; 7 United States Code sections 2011 through 2036a), if the purchases are made with the benefits issued pursuant to the supplemental nutrition assistance program.