The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
41-2752. State competition with private enterprise prohibited; exceptions; definition
A. A state agency shall not engage in the manufacturing, processing, sale, offering for sale, rental, leasing, delivery, dispensing, distributing or advertising of goods or services to the public that are also offered by private enterprise unless specifically authorized by law other than administrative law and executive orders.
B. A state agency shall not offer or provide goods or services to the public for or through another state agency or a local agency, including by intergovernmental or interagency agreement, in violation of this section or section 41-2753.
C. The restrictions on activities that compete with private enterprise contained in this section do not apply to:
1. The development, operation and management of state parks, historical monuments and hiking or equestrian trails.
2. Correctional industries established and operated by the state department of corrections if the prices charged for products sold by the correctional industries are not less than the actual cost of producing and marketing the product plus a reasonable allowance for overhead and administrative costs.
3. The office of tourism.
4. The Arizona highways magazine, operated by the department of transportation.
5. Printing and distributing information to the public if the agency is otherwise authorized to do so, and printing or copying public records or other material relating to the public agency's public business and recovering through fees and charges the costs of such printing, copying and distributing.
6. The department of public safety.
7. The construction, maintenance and operation of state transportation facilities.
8. The development, distribution, maintenance, support, licensing, leasing or sale of computer software by the department of transportation.
9. Agreements executed by the Arizona health care cost containment system administration with other states to design, develop, install and operate information technology systems and related services or other administrative services pursuant to section 36-2925.
10. Agreements executed by the department of economic security with other states to design, develop, install and operate support collection technology systems and related services. The department shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, monies received pursuant to this paragraph in the public assistance collections fund established by section 46-295.
11. Educational, vocational, treatment, training or work programs of the department of juvenile corrections and contracts between the department of juvenile corrections and this state, a political subdivision of this state or a private entity in order to provide employment or vocational educational experience.
12. The aflatoxin control technologies of the cotton research and protection council.
13. The lease or sublease of lands or buildings by the department of economic security pursuant to section 41-1958.
14. The Arizona commerce authority.
15. The Arizona game and fish commission, but only for the sale of goods or services and not firearms.
16. The lease or sublease of lands or buildings by the department of child safety pursuant to section 8-460.
17. Agreements executed by the department of child safety with other states to design, develop, install and operate support collection technology systems and related services. The department shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, monies received pursuant to this paragraph in the child safety collections fund established by section 8-461.
18. The lease or sublease of state hospital lands or buildings by the department of health services.
19. The sale or lease of software, computer systems or intellectual property developed by the department of education or associated services provided for the sale or lease of software, computer systems or intellectual property by the department of education. The department shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, sixty percent of the profit from the monies generated pursuant to this paragraph in the state general fund and the remaining forty percent in the department of education intellectual property fund established by section 15-231.04. The department of education may not transfer or expend monies or personnel resources for the purposes of marketing or soliciting goods or services authorized pursuant to this paragraph that were appropriated and authorized for other functions and programs of the department of education.
D. The restrictions on activities that compete with private enterprise contained in subsection A of this section do not apply to community colleges and universities under the jurisdiction of a governing board.
E. For the purposes of this section, "profit" means any monies generated from the sale or lease of goods and services after accounting for the costs paid by this state, including appropriations from the state general fund.