The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
41-1491.04. Housing for older persons exempted; rules; liability; definition
A. The provisions of this article relating to familial status do not apply to housing for older persons.
B. The attorney general may adopt rules setting forth criteria for housing for older persons. The rules adopted for subsection D, paragraph 3 shall require the following factors:
1. That at least eighty per cent of the units are occupied by at least one person fifty-five years of age or older per unit. Rules adopted for verification of occupancy shall provide for the use of reliable surveys and affidavits. These surveys and affidavits are admissible in administrative and judicial proceedings. Rules adopted establishing compliance with this paragraph shall be consistent with federal fair housing regulations.
2. The publication of, and adherence to, policies and procedures that demonstrate an intent by the owner or manager to provide housing for persons fifty-five years of age or older. Rules adopted establishing compliance with this paragraph shall be consistent with federal fair housing regulations.
C. A person shall not be held personally liable for monetary damages under section 41-1491.31 if the person relied in good faith that the housing was exempt from this article because it was housing for older persons as defined under subsection D, paragraph 3 of this section. For the purposes of this subsection a person may only demonstrate good faith reliance on the exemption from the provisions of this article if both:
1. The person has no actual knowledge that the facility or community does not, or will not qualify as housing for older persons as defined under subsection D, paragraph 3 of this section.
2. The facility or community has formally stated in writing that the facility or community is housing for older persons as defined under subsection D, paragraph 3 of this section.
D. In this section, "housing for older persons" means housing that meets any of the following conditions:
1. Is specifically designed and operated to assist elderly persons under a federal or state program.
2. Is intended for, and solely occupied by, persons sixty-two years of age or older.
3. Is intended and operated for occupancy by at least one person fifty-five years of age or older per unit.