The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 56th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2023.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
37-521. Permanent state school fund; composition; use
(Caution: 1998 Prop. 105 applies)
A. After any appropriation pursuant to section 37-527, the permanent state school fund shall consist of:
1. The proceeds of all lands granted to this state by the United States for the support of common schools.
2. All property which accrues to this state by escheat or forfeiture.
3. All property donated for the benefit of the common schools, unless the terms of the donation otherwise provide.
4. All unclaimed shares and dividends of any corporation incorporated under the laws of this state.
5. The proceeds of sale of timber, mineral, gravel or other natural products or property from school lands and state lands other than those granted for specific purposes.
6. The residue of the lands granted for payment of the bonds and accrued interest issued by Maricopa, Pima, Yavapai and Coconino counties, after the purpose of the grant has been satisfied, and the five percent of the proceeds of sales of public lands lying within this state sold by the United States subsequent to admission of this state into the union, as granted by the enabling act.
B. The fund shall be and remain a perpetual fund and distributions from the fund pursuant to article X, section 7, Constitution of Arizona, plus monies derived from the rental of the lands and property, interest and accrued rent for that year credited pursuant to section 37-295 and interest paid on installment sales, shall be used as follows:
1. If there are outstanding state school facilities revenue bonds pursuant to title 41, chapter 56, article 6, outstanding qualified zone academy bonds pursuant to title 41, chapter 56, article 7 or outstanding state school trust revenue bonds issued to correct existing deficiencies, the state treasurer and the state land department shall annually transfer to the state school facilities revenue bond debt service fund established in section 41-5754, the state school improvement revenue bond debt service fund established in section 41-5784 and the state school trust revenue bond debt service fund the amount that is necessary to pay that fiscal year's debt service on outstanding state school facilities revenue bonds, qualified zone academy bonds and state school trust revenue bonds, before transferring amounts for any other uses.
2. If there are no outstanding state school facilities revenue bonds pursuant to title 41, chapter 56, article 6 or if the amount of monies available under this subsection exceeds the amount required under paragraph 1 of this subsection, the monies are subject to legislative appropriation to the new school facilities fund established by section 41-5741.
3. If the amount of monies available under this subsection exceeds the amount required under paragraphs 1 and 2 of this subsection, the legislature may annually appropriate an amount to be used as provided in section 15-971, subsection G, except that the amount appropriated may not exceed the amount appropriated from the permanent state school fund and from the rent and interest paid on installment sales for this purpose in fiscal year 2000-2001.
4. Notwithstanding paragraphs 1, 2 and 3 of this subsection, from and after June 30, 2001, any expendable earnings under this subsection that exceed the fiscal year 2000-2001 expendable earnings shall be deposited in the classroom site fund established by section 15-977.