The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2022.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
36-2857 - Localities; marijuana establishments and marijuana testing facilities
36-2857. Localities; marijuana establishments and marijuana testing facilities
(Caution: 1998 Prop. 105 applies)
A. A locality may:
1. Enact reasonable zoning regulations that limit the use of land for marijuana establishments and marijuana testing facilities to specified areas.
2. Limit the number of marijuana establishments or marijuana testing facilities, or both.
3. Prohibit marijuana establishments or marijuana testing facilities, or both.
4. Regulate the time, place and manner of marijuana establishment and marijuana testing facility operations.
5. Establish reasonable restrictions on public signage regarding marijuana, marijuana establishments and marijuana testing facilities.
6. Prohibit or restrict delivery within its jurisdiction.
B. A county may exercise its authority pursuant to subsection A of this section only in unincorporated areas of the county.
C. A locality may not enact any ordinance, regulation or rule that:
1. Is more restrictive than a comparable ordinance, regulation or rule that applies to nonprofit medical marijuana dispensaries.
2. Makes the operation of a marijuana establishment or marijuana testing facility unduly burdensome if the locality has not prohibited marijuana establishments or marijuana testing facilities.
3. Conflicts with this chapter or rules adopted pursuant to this chapter.
4. Prohibits the transportation of marijuana by a marijuana establishment or marijuana testing facility on public roads.
5. Restricts or interferes with the ability of a dual licensee or an entity eligible to become a dual licensee to operate a nonprofit medical marijuana dispensary and a marijuana establishment cooperatively at shared locations.
6. Except as expressly authorized by this section or section 36-2851, prohibits or restricts any conduct or transaction allowed by this chapter, or imposes any liability or penalty in addition to that prescribed by this chapter for any conduct or transaction constituting a violation of this chapter.