The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Commission" means the commission for the deaf and the hard of hearing.
2. "Deaf" means those persons who cannot generally understand speech sounds with or without a hearing aid when in optimal listening conditions.
3. "Hard of hearing" means those persons who have a degree of hearing loss greater than 40dB PTA-2, but less than 85dB PTA-2, in the better ear.
4. "Interpreting" means translating or transliterating of English concepts to any necessary specialized vocabulary used by a consumer or the translating of a consumer specialized vocabulary to English concepts.
5. "Necessary specialized vocabulary" includes American sign language, English based sign language, cued speech and oral interpreting.
6. "PTA-2" means the average of hearing levels at one thousand, two thousand and four thousand Hz.