The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2020.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Abortion" means the use of any means with the intent to terminate a woman's pregnancy for reasons other than to increase the probability of a live birth, to preserve the life or health of the child after a live birth, to terminate an ectopic pregnancy or to remove a dead fetus. Abortion does not include birth control devices or oral contraceptives.
2. "Abortion clinic" means a facility, other than a hospital, in which five or more first trimester abortions in any month or any second or third trimester abortions are performed.
3. "Director" means the director of the department of health services.
4. "Medication abortion" means the use of any medication, drug or other substance that is intended to cause or induce an abortion.
5. "Perform" includes the initial administration of any medication, drug or other substance intended to cause or induce an abortion.
6. "Surgical abortion" has the same meaning prescribed in section 36-2151.
7. "Viable fetus" has the same meaning prescribed in section 36-2301.01.