The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2022.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
36-202 - State hospital for the mentally disordered; official name; purpose; facilities and equipment
36-202. State hospital for the mentally disordered; official name; purpose; facilities and equipment
A. A state hospital shall be maintained for the care and treatment of persons with mental disorders and persons with other personality disorders or emotional conditions who will benefit from care and treatment. Admissions to the state hospital shall be in accordance with law. The hospital shall be called the Arizona state hospital.
B. Subject to legislative appropriation, the state hospital may provide services to persons suffering from alcoholism and to persons suffering from drug abuse.
C. The state hospital shall have adequate facilities and equipment for enlightened and scientific treatment of nervous and mental diseases in accordance with approved methods of mental therapeutics. The facilities shall include, among other things:
1. Facilities for medical and psychiatric treatment with special attention to occupational therapy and other special therapies.
2. Facilities for proper segregation and care of child patients.
3. Facilities for recreation and physical training.
4. An institutional library for the use of patients.
5. A properly equipped dental department.
6. A properly equipped laboratory and x-ray department.
7. A patient tracking system approved by the director that monitors individual progress on an inpatient basis and ensures suitable aftercare placement.
D. The state hospital shall be under the charge and control of the director of the department of health services, pursuant to this article.