The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 56th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2023.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
32-2194.01. Notice to commissioner of intention to sell cemetery property; exceptions; restrictions
A. Before offering cemetery plots for sale, the owner or agent shall notify the commissioner in writing and the notice shall contain:
1. The name and address of the owner. If the holder of any ownership interest in the cemetery is other than an individual, such as a corporation, partnership or trust, a statement naming the type of legal entity and listing the interest and the extent of such interest of each principal in the entity. For the purposes of this paragraph, "principal" means any person or entity having a ten per cent or more financial interest or, if the legal entity is a trust, each beneficiary of the trust holding a ten per cent or more beneficial interest.
2. The legal description and area of the lands.
3. A true statement of the condition of the title to the land, including all encumbrances on the land.
4. The terms and conditions on which it is intended to dispose of the land, together with copies of any real estate sales contract, conveyance, lease, assignment or other instrument intended to be used, and other information the owner or agent desires to present.
5. A map of the cemetery which has been filed in the office of the county recorder in the county in which the cemetery is located.
6. A comprehensive statement describing the land on and the locality in which the cemetery is located.
7. A true statement of the use or uses for which the proposed cemetery will be offered.
8. A true statement of the provisions, if any, limiting the use of the plots in the cemetery, together with copies of any restrictive covenants affecting all or part of the cemetery.
9. The name and business address of the designated broker selling within this state plots in the cemetery. If the designated broker is changed the cemetery shall advise the department in writing without the requirement of an amended filing.
10. A true statement of the approximate amount of indebtedness which is a lien on the cemetery or any part of the cemetery and which was or will be incurred to pay for the construction of any on-site or off-site improvement or other facilities.
11. A true statement or reasonable estimate, if applicable, of the amount of any indebtedness which has been or is proposed to be incurred by an existing or proposed special district, entity, taxing area or assessment district within the boundaries of which the cemetery or any part of the cemetery is located and any amounts which are to be obtained by ad valorem tax or assessment, or by a special assessment or tax on the cemetery or any part of the cemetery.
12. Proof of financial responsibility for completing the cemetery and its related facilities for its initial development.
13. A true statement of provisions made for financing any related facilities to be included. The statement shall include evidence of assurances for delivery of such facilities and a statement of the provisions, if any, for the continued maintenance of such facilities.
14. A true statement that the cemetery is not subject to any known flooding or drainage hazards.
15. A true statement of the nature of any improvements to be installed in the developed portion of the cemetery, the estimated schedule for completion and the estimated costs related to such improvements which shall be borne by the developed portion of the cemetery.
16. A true statement of the availability of department of health services approved water and sewage disposal facilities and other public utilities including electricity, gas and telephone facilities in the cemetery, the estimated schedule for their installation and the estimated costs related to such facilities and utilities which shall be borne by the cemetery.
17. If the subdivider is a subsidiary corporation, a true statement identifying the parent corporation and any cemeteries in this state in which the parent or any of its subsidiaries are or have been involved in the last five years.
18. Such other information and such other documents as the commissioner may reasonably require.
19. If the cemetery has been previously licensed in this state and the ownership or control of the cemetery has transferred, a statement from a certified public accountant certified pursuant to chapter 6 of this title, showing that all required funds have been deposited in the irrevocable trust fund and that only lawful withdrawals were made. An audit that meets generally accepted accounting standards shall be used by the certified public accountant to prepare the statement required by this paragraph.
B. The commissioner may require the owner or agent to supplement the notice of intention to develop a cemetery and may require the filing of periodic reports to update the information contained in the original notice of intention to develop a cemetery.
C. The conveyance of a plot in a cemetery does not limit the right of the purchaser or the purchaser's representative to appear and testify before any public body regarding changes or other official acts affecting the cemetery property. All contractual provisions which conflict with this subsection are deemed to be against public policy.
D. The commissioner by special order may exempt from any one or all of the provisions of this article certain cemeteries otherwise required to comply with this article on written petition and on a showing by the petitioner, satisfactory to the commissioner, that compliance with this article is not essential to the public interest or for the protection of buyers by reason of the special characteristics of the cemetery.