The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2020.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
In this article, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Digital network or software application" means any online-enabled application, software, website or system that is offered or used by a transportation network company and that enables a potential passenger to arrange a ride with a transportation network company driver.
2. "Trade dress" means a removable and distinct logo, insignia or emblem attached to or visible from the exterior of either of the following:
(a) A transportation network company vehicle during the performance of transportation network services.
(b) A taxi while providing vehicle for hire services.
3. "Transportation network company" means an entity that has been issued a permit pursuant to this article, that operates in this state, that uses a digital network or software application to connect passengers to transportation network services provided by transportation network company drivers and that may but is not deemed to own, operate or control a personal motor vehicle of a transportation network company driver. Transportation network company does not include the following:
(a) This state or a county, city, town or political subdivision of this state and any related entity, a nonprofit agency or any other public body that coordinates, operates, promotes or sponsors public transportation or carpool or vanpool services.
(b) A program that is in place to meet federal air quality standards pursuant to section 49-404.
(c) Any individual, company or activity that meets the requirements of a rental car agent or rental company as defined in section 20-331 if all of the following apply:
(i) Transportation is provided to another person or is arranged by the rental company but provided by another person.
(ii) The route is predetermined.
(iii) Any money exchanged between the provider of the transportation and the recipient does not exceed the cost of providing the transportation.
4. "Transportation network company driver" means an individual who receives connections to potential passengers and related services from a transportation network company in exchange for payment of a fee to the transportation network company and who operates a motor vehicle that is both of the following:
(a) Owned, leased or otherwise authorized for use by the individual.
(b) Used to provide transportation network services.
5. "Transportation network company vehicle" means a motor vehicle that meets all of the following:
(a) Has a seating capacity not exceeding eight passengers, including the driver.
(b) Is authorized by a transportation network company.
(c) Is used by a transportation network company driver to provide transportation network services.
6. "Transportation network services" means the transportation of a passenger between points chosen by the passenger and arranged with a transportation network company driver through the use of a transportation network company's digital network or software application beginning when a transportation network company driver accepts a request for transportation network services received through the transportation network company's digital network or software application, continuing while the transportation network company driver provides transportation network services in a transportation network company vehicle and ending when the passenger exits the transportation network company vehicle or when the trip is canceled.