The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-8205 - Construction of new airports; definitions
28-8205. Construction of new airports; definitions
A. A new airport shall not be constructed within the boundaries of an urbanized area or within twenty-four statute miles of the exterior boundary of an urbanized area without approval of the board.
B. The board shall approve construction of a new airport only if both:
1. The construction of the new airport is consistent with the state, regional and local aviation system plans.
2. The state, regional and local aviation plans consider relevant criteria, including airspace and air safety, land use compatibility and priority of funding.
C. This section does not apply to a heliport or to an addition to an existing airport.
D. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Airport" means an area of land or water that is designed, set aside and utilized or to be utilized for the landing and taking off of aircraft.
2. "Heliport" means an area of land, water or structure that is used or intended to be used for the landing and takeoff of rotorcraft. For the purposes of this paragraph, "rotorcraft" means a heavier than air aircraft that depends principally for its support in flight on the lift generated by one or more rotors.
3. "Urbanized area" means an urbanized area as defined in the most recent decennial census by the United States bureau of the census.