The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-7142. Relocation assistance advisory services
A. Programs or projects undertaken by a displacing agency shall be planned in a manner that both:
1. Recognizes, at an early stage in the planning of the programs or projects and before the commencement of any actions that will cause displacements, the problems associated with the displacement of individuals, families, businesses and farm operations.
2. Provides for the resolution of the problems in order to minimize adverse impacts on displaced persons and to expedite program or project advancement and completion.
B. The displacing agency shall ensure that the relocation assistance advisory services described in subsection C are made available to all persons displaced by the agency. If the displacing agency determines that a person occupying property that is immediately adjacent to the property where the displacing activity occurs is caused substantial economic injury as a result of the activity, the agency may make advisory services available to the person.
C. Each relocation assistance advisory program required by subsection B shall include the measures, facilities or services that may be necessary or appropriate in order to:
1. Determine and make timely recommendations on the needs and preferences, if any, of displaced persons for relocation assistance.
2. Provide current and continuing information on the availability, sales prices and rental charges of comparable replacement dwellings for displaced homeowners and tenants and suitable locations for businesses and farm operations.
3. Assist a person who is displaced from a business or farm operation in obtaining and becoming established in a suitable replacement location.
(a) Information concerning federal, state and local programs that may be of assistance to displaced persons.
(b) Technical assistance to those persons in applying for assistance under the programs.
5. Provide other advisory services to displaced persons in order to minimize hardships to those persons in adjusting to relocation.
D. The displacing agency shall coordinate relocation activities performed by the agency with other federal, state or local governmental actions in the community that could affect the efficient and effective delivery of relocation assistance and related services.
E. If a displacing agency acquires property for a program or project, a person who occupies the property on a rental basis for a short term or a period subject to termination when the property is needed for the program or project is eligible for advisory services to the extent determined by the displacing agency.
F. The department may establish local relocation assistance offices to carry out subsection A.
G. The department may contract with federal, other state, county or local agencies to provide relocation assistance services if the agency is required by law to provide the services and if the services are compatible with those services provided by the department.