The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
A. The director of the department of transportation or the director's authorized and bonded agent shall administer all highway and maintenance work and has the following powers and duties:
1. Direct the preparation of all plans and specifications for work on state highways or state routes.
2. Advertise for competitive bids for work on state highways or state routes and, on authorization of the transportation board, award and enter into contracts for the work.
3. Direct the supervision of all construction work on state highways and state routes and is in charge of maintenance and upkeep of these highways and routes.
4. Approve payment for work done by the state on or in connection with state highways or state routes, except that the director of the department of administration shall not allow a claim for work without the approval of the director of the department of transportation or the director's authorized and bonded agent.
5. Negotiate and award contracts to private consulting engineers or consulting engineering firms if deemed in the public interest by the director and the transportation board for the performance of engineering work that is required to formulate and complete highway construction contracts.
B. The director shall:
1. Direct the organization of the division.
2. Appoint, suspend, discharge and fix the duties of employees.
3. Make monthly reports to the transportation board of all expenditures of the division, of the work accomplished and other applicable information.
4. On request of the transportation board, assign clerks or other employees to the board.
5. Prescribe procedures for the use of division personnel, facilities, equipment, supplies and other resources in assisting search or rescue operations.
6. Exercise other powers necessary to carry out the work of the division and perform other duties prescribed by law for the division.