The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-4403. Record requirements; motor vehicle information; inspection; liability; electronic submission
A. A licensee shall keep and maintain at the licensee's established place of business, or place of business if the licensee is a broker or a wholesale motor vehicle dealer, a permanent record in the form prescribed by the director containing:
1. A particular description of each motor vehicle of a type subject to registration under the laws of this state that is bought, sold, brokered or exchanged by the licensee or received or accepted by the licensee for sale, brokering or exchange.
2. A particular description of each used motor vehicle body or chassis that is sold or otherwise disposed of.
3. A particular description of each motor vehicle that is bought or otherwise acquired and wrecked by the licensee.
4. The name and address of the person from whom a motor vehicle, motor vehicle body or motor vehicle chassis was purchased or otherwise acquired and the date it was purchased or acquired.
5. The name and address of the person to whom the motor vehicle, motor vehicle body or motor vehicle chassis was sold or otherwise disposed of, the date it was sold or disposed of and a sufficient description of the vehicle, body or chassis by name or identifying number or otherwise to identify it.
B. A licensed automotive recycler that has a vehicle in the automotive recycler's inventory shall:
1. At the same time have possession of a duly and regularly assigned salvage certificate of title, nonrepairable vehicle certificate of title or dismantle certificate of title to the vehicle.
2. Not offer for sale or sell a vehicle unless a salvage certificate of title, nonrepairable vehicle certificate of title or dismantle certificate of title to the vehicle has been obtained.
C. Each motor vehicle dealer shall give the customer a written contract and shall maintain a copy of the contract for three years at the dealer's established place of business.
D. Each record required by this section and all inventories relating to the records of a licensee shall be available at all times for physical inspection by agents of the department or members of the highway patrol division. The agents or members may enter on premises where the records or inventories are located during normal business hours for purposes of the inspection. The licensee or any designated employee or agent may accompany any person making the inspection while the person is on the licensee's premises.
E. The licensee is only liable to a person making an inspection under this section for an injury arising out of the condition of the premises that occurs while the person is on the licensee's premises if the licensee knowingly allows the person to encounter a hidden peril or wantonly or wilfully causes the person harm.
F. A wholesale motor vehicle dealer shall submit electronically to the department any documents that are requested by the department during the wholesale motor vehicle dealer's reported business hours and that are prescribed in this section. The wholesale motor vehicle dealer shall submit the requested documents within forty-eight hours after the request is transmitted.