The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-4361. License application; criminal records check; education and training
A. A person shall apply for a license to the director in writing on forms prescribed by the director. The person shall include with the application all documents and bonds required and the annual license fees prescribed by section 28-4302.
B. The application shall be verified and shall contain:
1. The name and residence of either:
(a) The applicant.
(b) If the applicant is a partnership, each partner.
(c) If the applicant is a corporation, each principal officer, director, agent or stockholder who owns twenty percent or more of the corporation and the name of the state in which the corporation was organized.
2. The principal place of business of the applicant.
3. The established place of business or the place of business at or from which the applicant will conduct the business.
4. The make or makes of new motor vehicles, if any, that the applicant will sell or offer for sale in this state.
5. The business hours of the applicant.
6. Other information that the director requires.
C. Each applicant who owns twenty percent or more of an entity, and each partner or stockholder who owns twenty percent or more of an entity, and who seeks a new license shall provide:
1. A full set of fingerprints to the department of transportation for the purpose of obtaining a state and federal criminal records check pursuant to section 41-1750 and Public Law 92-544. The department of public safety may exchange this fingerprint data with the federal bureau of investigation.
2. A nonrefundable fee to be paid to the department of public safety for the criminal records check.
D. If a licensee adds or changes a partner or stockholder who owns twenty percent or more of the entity and who was not included in the criminal records check on a prior application, the licensee shall notify the department within thirty days of the change. At the time of notification, an application and, if applicable, a full set of fingerprints and the fee for a criminal records check shall be submitted to the department. If any individual who is added or changed by the licensee is found to be ineligible pursuant to section 28-4365, the director, on completion of the criminal records check, shall advise the licensee and the individual in writing that the license will be revoked, unless the individual is removed from the position, and of the grounds for the action.
E. The requirement for a criminal records check:
1. Does not apply to a manufacturer, importer, factory branch or distributor or a person who is under eighteen years of age on the date the application is filed with the department.
2. May not apply if the application is for a subsequent license and each applicant who owns twenty percent or more of an entity, and each partner or stockholder who owns twenty percent or more of an entity, either:
(a) Have submitted to a criminal records check during the past five years.
(b) Are currently licensed under this section.
3. Does not apply to a new motor vehicle dealer who has paid fees pursuant to section 28-4302.
F. The director may establish education and training for a person applying for an initial or a renewal of a used motor vehicle dealer or wholesale motor vehicle dealer license pursuant to this section. The director may contract with a private entity to provide the education and training established under this subsection. The private entity that contracts with the director pursuant to this subsection may charge a fee for the education and training.