The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-4333. Licensing requirement; exemptions
A. A new motor vehicle shall not be sold in this state unless either the manufacturer on direct dealerships of domestic vehicles, the importer of foreign manufactured vehicles on direct dealerships or the distributor on indirect dealerships of either domestic or foreign vehicles is licensed as provided in this chapter. Obtaining the license conclusively establishes that the manufacturer, distributor or importer is subject to the laws of this state regulating manufacturers, importers and distributors.
B. An organization that has qualified for an exemption from taxation of income under section 501 of the internal revenue code may sell a donated used motor vehicle without obtaining a license under this chapter, subject to the following:
1. The nonprofit organization shall maintain the tax-exempt status until any monies received from the sale of the used motor vehicle have been expended and a member, director, officer, employee or agent of the nonprofit organization shall not receive any direct or indirect pecuniary benefit from the sale of the used motor vehicle.
2. The nonprofit organization shall sell the used motor vehicle by assignment using a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
3. Notwithstanding section 28-2058, the nonprofit organization is not required to obtain a new certificate of title or registration for the donated motor vehicle but shall assign the certificate of title to the licensed motor vehicle dealer for ultimate assignment to the retail purchaser of the motor vehicle.
4. The nonprofit organization shall maintain the motor vehicle financial responsibility requirements prescribed by chapter 9, article 4 of this title if operating the motor vehicle including operating the motor vehicle to the place of assignment.
5. The nonprofit organization may operate the donated motor vehicle to the place of assignment without purchasing the one trip registration permit required by section 28-2155.
C. Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, a person who receives or does not receive consideration for providing a purchaser the opportunity to purchase a motor vehicle from a licensed new motor vehicle dealer at a price that does not exceed a certain amount is not required to be licensed as a motor vehicle dealer or broker under this chapter if the person does not participate in the negotiation of the actual price paid, the delivery terms or any other terms related to the purchase of the vehicle.