The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Judgment" means a judgment that has become final by expiration without appeal of the time within which an appeal might have been perfected or by final affirmation on appeal and that is rendered by a court of competent jurisdiction of any state or of the United States on a cause of action either:
(a) Arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle for damages, including damages for care and loss of services, because of either bodily injury to or death of a person or injury to or destruction of property, including the loss of use of the property.
(b) On an agreement of settlement for damages described in subdivision (a) of this paragraph.
2. "License" means a license, temporary instruction permit or temporary license issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the licensing of persons to operate motor vehicles.
3. "Motor vehicle" means a self-propelled vehicle that is registered or required to be registered under the laws of this state.
4. "Motor vehicle liability policy" means an owner's or an operator's policy of liability insurance that is both:
(a) Certified as provided in section 28-4077 or 28-4078 as proof of financial responsibility.
(b) Issued by an insurance carrier duly authorized to transact business in this state, to or for the benefit of the person named as the insured, except as otherwise provided in section 28-4078.
5. "Nonresident operating privilege" means the privilege conferred on a nonresident by the laws of this state pertaining to the nonresident's operation of a motor vehicle or the use of a motor vehicle owned by the nonresident in this state.
6. "Operator" means a person who is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle, whether or not the person has a license.
7. "Proof of financial responsibility" means proof of ability to respond in damages for liability on account of accidents occurring after the effective date of the proof and arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of a motor vehicle, in the amounts required by section 28-4009 or 28-4033.
8. "Registration" means the registration certificate or certificates and license plates issued under the laws of this state pertaining to the registration of motor vehicles.
9. "State" means a state, territory or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia or a province of the Dominion of Canada.