The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-3160. Applications of minors; liability
A. Except as provided in section 28-3161, the following person or persons shall sign and verify before a person authorized to administer oaths the application of a person under eighteen years of age for an instruction permit, a class G or M driver license or an endorsement to a class G or M driver license:
1. If both the father and mother of the applicant are living, have custody of the applicant and are married to each other, either the father or the mother of the applicant.
2. If both the father and mother of the applicant are living, have custody of the applicant and are not married to each other, both the father and mother of the applicant.
3. If one parent of the applicant has custody of the applicant, the parent who has custody.
4. If neither parent of the applicant is living, the person or guardian who has custody of the applicant or an employer of the applicant.
5. If the applicant resides with a foster parent, the foster parent.
6. If there is no guardian or employer of the applicant, a responsible person who is willing to assume the obligation imposed by this chapter on a person who signs the application of a minor.
B. Negligence or wilful misconduct of a minor when driving a motor vehicle on a highway is imputed to the person who signs the application of the minor for a permit or license. Except as otherwise provided in subsection D of this section, the person who signs the application is jointly and severally liable with the minor for damage caused by the negligence or wilful misconduct.
C. Notwithstanding section 25-214, subsection C, a spouse who signs the application pursuant to subsection A of this section binds the marital community.
D. The parents or guardian of a minor are not liable under subsection B of this section during the time proof of financial responsibility is maintained by the minor or on behalf of the minor in the form and in amounts required by law for the operation of a motor vehicle the minor owns, or if the minor is not the owner of a motor vehicle, for the operation of any motor vehicle.