The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
A. With good cause, the department may issue the following restricted driver licenses:
1. A driver license with any of the following:
(a) Restrictions suitable to the licensee's driving ability for the type of motor vehicle or special mechanical control devices required on a motor vehicle that the licensee may operate.
(b) Restrictions suitable to the licensee's ability to drive a motor vehicle in areas, at locations or on highways or during certain times.
(c) Other restrictions as the department determines appropriate to ensure the safe operation of a motor vehicle by the licensee.
2. A class A, B or C driver license that restricts the driver from operating:
(a) A commercial motor vehicle equipped with air brakes, if the applicant either fails the air brake component of the knowledge examination or performs the skills test in a vehicle that is not equipped with air brakes.
(b) A vehicle in interstate commerce, if the applicant is not subject to 49 Code of Federal Regulations part 391.
(c) A motor vehicle for the purposes of interstate commerce, if an applicant for a class A, B or C license is at least eighteen years of age.
3. A class A, B or C driver license with other restrictions that the department determines are appropriate to ensure the safe operation of a commercial motor vehicle by the licensee.
4. A class M license that restricts the driver from driving a vehicle other than a motorcycle, motor driven cycle or moped with a maximum piston displacement of one hundred cubic centimeters or less, if the applicant performs the driving examination with a motorcycle, motor driven cycle or moped with a maximum piston displacement of one hundred cubic centimeters or less.
5. A special ignition interlock restricted driver license pursuant to chapter 4, article 3.1 of this title.
6. A license restricting the travel of the driver as provided in section 25-518.
B. The department may either issue a special restricted license or display the restrictions on the usual driver license form.