The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-3103. Driver license endorsements
A. A driver license applicant shall obtain the following endorsements to the applicant's driver license and shall submit to an examination appropriate to the type of endorsement if the applicant operates one or more of the following vehicles:
1. A motorcycle endorsement for operation of a motorcycle if the applicant qualifies for a class M license and if the applicant qualifies for or has a class A, B, C, D or G license.
2. A hazardous materials endorsement on a class A, B or C license for operation of a vehicle that transports hazardous materials, wastes or substances in a quantity and under circumstances that require the placarding or marking of the transport vehicle as required by the department's safety rules prescribed pursuant to chapter 14 of this title. The department or an outside source authorized by the department and approved by the transportation security administration may:
(a) Conduct background checks in accordance with the transportation security administration procedures.
(b) Require that all hazardous materials endorsement applicants submit fingerprints.
3. A double-triple trailer endorsement on a class A license for operation of a vehicle towing double or triple trailers.
4. A passenger vehicle endorsement on a class A, B or C license for operation of a bus designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver, or a school bus.
5. A tank vehicle endorsement on a class A, B or C license for operation of a tank vehicle. For the purposes of this paragraph, "tank vehicle" means a commercial motor vehicle that is designed to transport a liquid or gaseous material within a tank that is either permanently or temporarily attached to the vehicle or chassis, including a cargo tank and a portable tank and excluding a portable tank having a rated capacity under one thousand gallons.
6. A school bus endorsement on a class A, B or C license for operation of a school bus. Applicants shall successfully complete both a written knowledge test and a driving skills test to obtain a school bus endorsement.
B. When applying for a commercial driver license endorsement pursuant to article 5 of this chapter, the applicant shall successfully complete the skills portion of the examination in a motor vehicle or vehicle combination applicable to the endorsement.
C. On notification by the transportation security administration that an individual's authorization to hold a hazardous materials endorsement has been terminated, the department shall immediately cancel the hazardous materials endorsement on the driver's commercial driver license.