The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 56th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2023.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-3053. Student transportation advisory council
A. The student transportation advisory council is established consisting of the following members appointed by the governor:
1. One member representing the department of public safety.
2. One member representing the state board of education.
3. One member representing the state board for charter schools.
4. One member from a school district with a student count of less than six hundred in a county with a population of less than three hundred thousand persons.
5. One member from a school district with a student count of six hundred or more but less than three thousand.
6. One member from a school district with a student count of more than three thousand.
7. One member representing transportation administrators.
8. One member who is a certified school bus driver or school bus driver instructor.
9. One member representing a private sector school bus service provider or a private sector student transportation service provider.
10. One member from a charter school with a student count of less than six hundred.
11. One member from a charter school with a student count of more than six hundred.
12. One member with expertise in electric vehicle fleets, electric vehicle charging infrastructure or charging management services.
13. Two public members.
B. The members shall serve staggered three-year terms unless a member vacates the position. Appointment to fill a vacancy resulting other than from expiration of a term is for the unexpired portion of the term only.
C. The student transportation advisory council shall:
1. Meet at least twice annually.
2. Select a chairperson from its members.
3. Advise and assist the department of public safety in developing the rules required by sections 28-900 and 28-3228.
4. Recommend curricula for school bus driver safety and training courses required by section 28-3228.
5. Advise and consult with the department of public safety concerning matters related to the certification of school bus drivers and the safety of school buses and vehicles described in section 15-925.
6. Advise and consult with the department of public safety concerning matters related to modernizing and innovating K-12 student transportation to reduce transportation barriers for students, increase access to public school options and provide more transportation options for school districts and charter schools, including electric transportation.
7. Advise and consult with the department of administration concerning purchasing strategies to maximize transportation resources and find efficiencies to modernize and properly size transportation vehicles and systems.
8. Establish a mailing list that includes any party expressing an interest in the council's activities. The council shall provide written notice to each person on the list at least fifteen days before the date on which the meeting is to be held. The notice shall be sent by mail or electronic means to the party's last address of record with the council or by any other method reasonably calculated to effect actual notice to any party expressing interest in the council's activities. Written notice by electronic means is effective when transmitted. For other methods written notice is effective on receipt or five days after the date shown on the postmark stamped on the envelope, whichever is earlier.
9. Preapprove contract carriers and private parties as prescribed in section 15-923, subsection B.
D. Members of the student transportation advisory council are not eligible to receive compensation or reimbursement for expenses.