The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 56th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2023.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-2321 - Registration requirement for nonresident's vehicle
28-2321. Registration requirement for nonresident's vehicle
A. Except as otherwise provided in this article, every foreign motor vehicle owned by a nonresident and operated in this state shall be registered and licensed in the same manner as a motor vehicle that has not been registered or licensed if the motor vehicle is operated in this state either:
1. For the transportation of passengers or property for compensation.
2. In the business of a nonresident carried on in this state.
3. For the transportation of property.
4. In the furtherance of a commercial enterprise and is a passenger-carrying motor vehicle designed to seat twelve or more persons.
B. The director shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, fees collected pursuant to this section at ports of entry on the border between this state and Mexico as follows:
1. Fifty-five percent in the state highway fund established by section 28-6991.
2. Forty-five percent in the Arizona highway patrol fund established by section 41-1752.
C. Sections 28-2322, 28-2323 and 28-2324 and this section do not apply to:
1. A foreign motor vehicle that is owned by a nonresident and that would be exempt from payment of gross weight fees under section 28-5432 if the motor vehicle were owned by a resident of this state.
2. A foreign motor vehicle that is owned by a nonresident and operated in this state for the transportation of property in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise and that is either:
(a) Commonly referred to as a passenger car or station wagon.
(b) Commonly known and referred to by manufacturer's rating as a three-quarter ton or less pickup truck or three-quarter ton or less van.