The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
28-2051. Application for certificate of title; vision screening test
A. A person shall apply to the department on a form prescribed or authorized by the department for a certificate of title to a motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer. The person shall make the application within fifteen days after the purchase or transfer of the vehicle, trailer or semitrailer except that a licensed motor vehicle dealer shall make the application within thirty days after the purchase or transfer. All transferees shall sign the application, except that one transferee may sign the application if both of the following apply:
1. The application is for the purposes of converting an out-of-state certificate of title to a certificate of title issued pursuant to this article.
2. The ownership or legal status of the motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer does not change.
B. The application shall contain:
1. The transferee's full name and either the driver license number of the transferee or a number assigned by the department.
2. The transferee's complete residence address.
3. A brief description of the vehicle to be issued a certificate of title.
4. The name of the manufacturer of the vehicle.
5. The serial number of the vehicle.
6. The last license plate number if applicable and if known and the state in which the license plate number was issued.
7. If the application is for a certificate of title to a new vehicle, the date of sale by the manufacturer or dealer to the person first operating the vehicle.
8. If the application is in the name of a lessor:
(a) The lessor shown on the application as the owner or transferee.
(b) At the option of the lessor, the lessee shown on the application as the registrant.
(c) The address of either the lessor or lessee.
(d) The signature of the lessor.
9. If the application is for a certificate of title to a specially constructed, reconstructed or foreign vehicle, a statement of that fact. For the purposes of this paragraph, "specially constructed vehicle" means a vehicle not originally constructed under a distinctive name, make, model or type by a generally recognized manufacturer of vehicles.
10. If an applicant rents or intends to rent the vehicle without a driver, a statement of that fact.
11. Other information required by the department.
C. Unless subsection B, paragraph 8 of this section applies, on request of an applicant, the department shall allow the applicant to provide on the certificate of title of a motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer a post office box address that is regularly used by the applicant.
D. A person shall submit the following information with an application for a certificate of title:
1. To a vehicle previously registered:
(a) The odometer mileage disclosure statement prescribed by section 28-2058.
(b) If the applicant is applying for a certificate of title pursuant to section 28-2060, the applicant's statement of the odometer reading as of the date of application.
2. To a new vehicle:
(a) Either of the following:
(i) A manufacturer's certificate of origin showing the date of sale to the dealer or person first receiving the vehicle from the manufacturer. Before the department issues a certificate of title to a new vehicle, a manufacturer's certificate of origin shall be surrendered to the department.
(ii) A factory invoice, a form that is provided by the department or other documentation that shows the date of sale to the dealer or the person who first received the vehicle from the manufacturer.
(b) The name of the dealer or person.
(c) A description sufficient to identify the vehicle.
(d) A statement certifying that the vehicle was new when sold.
(e) If sold through a dealer, a statement by the dealer certifying that the vehicle was new when sold to the applicant.
E. The department may request that an applicant who appears in person for a certificate of title of a motor vehicle, trailer or semitrailer satisfactorily complete the vision screening test prescribed by the department.