The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
A. A court or political subdivision of this state may contract with the department to:
1. Provide electronic data access of department records to facilitate documentation of unpaid monetary obligations for violations of title 5, chapter 3 and for civil and criminal traffic violations and for failure to appear in criminal traffic cases.
2. Refuse to renew a motor vehicle registration until the court or political subdivision notifies the department in a form prescribed by the director that either:
(a) The unpaid monies due on the violation for which a vehicle registration was not renewed have been paid.
(b) The unpaid monies are no longer delinquent.
(c) The registered owner charged with the criminal traffic offense appeared in court for the criminal traffic offense for which the vehicle registration was not renewed.
(d) A waiver was issued under section 28-1635.
3. Collect the unpaid monies on behalf of the court or political subdivision under terms and conditions prescribed by the contract.
B. A court that is not authorized by law to contract directly with the department shall seek the approval of the appropriate funding authority before entering into a contract with the department.
C. The director shall implement the electronic access authorized by this section only if the director determines the system proposed by the court or political subdivision is fully compatible with the existing and anticipated systems of the department.
D. An agreement may be executed pursuant to this section only if all of the following conditions are met:
1. The planning, implementation and operation of the system are at no expense to the department.
2. The court or political subdivision both:
(a) Ensures that its system is compatible with state systems and those of participating courts or political subdivisions.
(b) Agrees that it will bear all current and future expenses necessary to ensure compatibility of its system with the state system.
3. The court or political subdivision assumes all financial, technical and legal risks associated with electronic access of department records through its system.
E. The department, court or political subdivision may contract with nongovernmental agencies or private sector businesses to perform any of the acts authorized by this section, except that the department shall mail the notice to all registered owners at the most recent address for each registered owner known to the department that the vehicle registration will not be renewed.