A. For the purpose of highway safety or air pollution prevention, a person shall not drive or move a vehicle on a highway unless the vehicle is constructed or loaded in a manner to prevent any of its load from dropping, sifting, leaking or otherwise escaping from the vehicle, except the following are permitted:
1. Sufficient sand may be dropped for the purpose of securing traction.
2. Water or another substance may be sprinkled on a roadway in cleaning or maintaining the roadway.
3. Minor pieces of agricultural materials such as leaves and stems from agricultural loads.
B. A person shall not operate a vehicle on a highway with a load unless the load and any covering on the load are securely fastened in a manner to prevent the covering or load from becoming loose, detached or in any manner a hazard to other users of the highway.
C. If a person is found in violation of this section and the violation:
1. Does not cause any damage or injury and is the person's:
(a) First violation in a sixty month period, the person is subject to a civil penalty of not more than two hundred fifty dollars.
(b) Second or subsequent violation in a sixty month period, the person is subject to a civil penalty of not more than three hundred fifty dollars.
2. Results in an accident causing serious physical injury as defined in section 13-105 to another person, the person is subject to a civil penalty of not more than five hundred dollars.
3. Results in an accident causing the death of another person, the person is subject to a civil penalty of not more than one thousand dollars.