The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
A. A person shall not drive or move and the owner of a vehicle shall not knowingly cause or permit to be driven or moved on a highway a vehicle or vehicles of a size or weight exceeding the limitations stated in this article or otherwise in violation of this article.
B. The maximum size and weight of vehicles specified in this article are lawful throughout this state. A local authority shall not alter the limitations stated in this article unless authorized by this article.
C. The size, weight and load provisions of this article do not apply to either:
1. Fire apparatus.
2. Urban public transit transportation system vehicles.
3. Implements of husbandry, including farm tractors, that are temporarily moved on a highway.
4. Vehicles operated under the terms of a special permit issued pursuant to this article.
D. A law enforcement officer shall not issue a citation to or detain a motor carrier who does not have a permit issued by the department or a local authority if the motor carrier is on a street or roadway that is controlled by a local authority and all of the following apply:
1. The local authority does not issue permits pursuant to section 28-1103.
2. The motor carrier is unable to obtain a permit required by section 28-1103 from the department solely for the reason that the motor carrier is operating on streets and roadways that are under the jurisdiction of a local authority.
3. The motor carrier is in compliance with rules adopted by the department pursuant to section 28-1103 or ordinances adopted by the local authority that relate to the movement of overdimensional or overweight vehicles.
E. Escort vehicle operators are not responsible for violations of this article or article 19 of this chapter committed by the operator of the escorted vehicle or the owner of the escorted vehicle.