28-857.01 - Overtaking and passing school bus; report by school bus operator; notification letter
28-857.01. Overtaking and passing school bus; report by school bus operator; notification letter
A. The operator of a school bus who observes a violation of section 28-857, subsection A may prepare a signed written report that indicates that a violation occurred. The report shall include:
1. The date, time and approximate location of the violation.
2. The number and state of issuance of the license plate on the vehicle involved in the violation.
3. Identification of the vehicle as an automobile, a station wagon, a truck, a bus, a motorcycle or any other type of vehicle.
4. The color of the vehicle involved in the violation.
B. Within two days after the violation occurs, excluding weekends and holidays, the school bus operator shall send a copy of the report to the director. On receiving the report, the director shall promptly mail a notification letter to the last known registered owner of the vehicle. The letter shall include:
1. A notification containing the information included in the bus operator's report and stating that a vehicle registered in the vehicle owner's name was observed passing a school bus loading and unloading children.
2. A complete explanation of the provisions of section 28-857.
3. An explanation that the notification letter is not a police citation but is an effort to call attention to the seriousness of the incident.