28-676. Causing serious physical injury by use of a vehicle; classification
A. A person is guilty of causing serious physical injury by use of a vehicle if all of the following apply:
1. The person is not allowed to operate a motor vehicle pursuant to subsection B of this section.
2. While operating a motor vehicle, the person causes serious physical injury as defined in section 13-105 to another person.
3. The person commits a violation of any of the following:
(a) Section 28-645, subsection A, paragraph 3, subdivision (a).
(b) Section 28-729.
(c) Section 28-771.
(d) Section 28-772.
(e) Section 28-773.
(f) Section 28-792.
(g) Section 28-794.
(h) Section 28-797, subsection F, G, H or I.
(i) Section 28-855, subsection B.
(j) Section 28-857, subsection A.
B. For the purposes of this section, a person shall not operate a motor vehicle if any of the following applies:
1. The person's driving privilege is revoked for any reason.
2. The person's driving privilege is suspended for any reason pursuant to chapter 4, article 3 of this title.
3. The person's driving privilege is suspended pursuant to section 28-1321.
4. The person's driving privilege is suspended pursuant to the department's action based on a previous conviction for a violation of section 28-3473.
5. The person's driving privilege is suspended pursuant to section 28-3306, subsection A.
6. The person's driving privilege is suspended pursuant to section 28-3308 and the person has had one or more previous suspensions pursuant to that section.
7. The person does one of the following to obtain a driver license:
(a) Knowingly uses a false or fictitious name.
(b) Knowingly makes a false statement.
(c) Knowingly conceals a material fact.
(d) Commits fraud.
(e) Violates section 28-3479.
8. The person does not have a valid driver license and a proper endorsement, if required, as prescribed by chapter 8 of this title and the person is not exempt pursuant to chapter 8 of this title.
C. Causing serious physical injury by use of a vehicle is a class 5 felony.