The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 53rd Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2019.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
23-231. Prohibited employments of persons under the age of eighteen
A. Unless a variance is granted pursuant to section 23-241, a person shall not employ or allow a person under the age of eighteen years to work in, about or in connection with:
1. An establishment manufacturing or storing explosives, except a retail establishment if the employment does not include any handling of explosives other than prepackaged small arms ammunition. In this paragraph "small arms ammunition" means ammunition not exceeding .60 caliber in size, shotgun shells or blasting caps.
2. Occupations as a motor vehicle driver or outside helper, except for driving incidental to employment if the person has a valid license for operation of the vehicle and either:
(a) The total driving time does not exceed two hours per day or twenty-five per cent of the work period per day.
(b) The total mileage driven is fewer than fifty miles per day.
3. Mine or quarry occupations.
4. Logging occupations.
5. Occupations involving the operation, setup, repair, adjustment, oiling or cleaning of a power-driven woodworking machine.
6. Occupations involving exposure to radioactive substances and to radiation in excess of 0.5 rem per year.
7. Occupations involving the operation or assistance in the operation of a power-driven hoist with a capacity exceeding one ton or an elevator, except operation of an automatic elevator incidental to employment.
8. Occupations involving the operation of a power-driven metal working, forming, punching or shearing machine.
9. Occupations involving slaughtering, meat packing, processing or rendering of meat or the operation, setup, repair, adjustment, oiling or cleaning of a power-driven meat processing machine.
10. Occupations involving the operation of a power-driven bakery machine.
11. Occupations involving the operation of a power-driven paper products machine.
12. Occupations involving the manufacture of clay construction products or silica refractory products.
13. Occupations involving the operation of a power-driven saw.
14. Occupations involving wrecking, demolition and ship-breaking operations.
15. Occupations involving roofing operations or equipment attached to or placed on roofs.
16. Occupations in excavation or tunnel operations, except manual excavation, backfilling or working in trenches or other penetrations of the ground surface that do not exceed two feet in depth at any point.
B. The industrial commission may by regulation declare other occupations to be dangerous to lives or limbs or injurious to the health and morals of persons under the age of eighteen years and prohibit the employment or allowance to work in, about or in connection with the occupations by such persons unless a variance is granted.