The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
20-407. Surplus lines; brokers
A. Any portion or all of an insurance coverage designated in this article as "surplus lines" may be procured from unauthorized insurers subject to the following conditions:
1. The insurance is procured through a surplus lines broker licensed in this state, referred to in this article as the "broker".
2. The insurance coverage is a recognized surplus line pursuant to section 20-409 or the insurance coverage is not procurable, after diligent effort has been made to procure coverage or the coverage has been procured to the full extent the insurers are willing to insure, and the placing of insurance with an unauthorized insurer is not for the purpose of securing advantages either as to premium rate or terms of the insurance contract.
B. Subsection A, paragraph 2 of this section does not apply to the sale of insurance coverage to an industrial insured as defined in section 20-401.07. At the inception of each new policy and at the time of each renewal, but not less than annually during the term of the policy, each industrial insured that purchases a policy as provided in this section shall certify to the broker on a form prescribed by the director that the insured meets the definition of industrial insured prescribed in section 20-401.07. The broker shall maintain the certification in the broker's files. The insurance is surplus lines insurance and is subject to the applicable provisions of this article that relate to surplus lines insurance.
C. This section does not prohibit a resident or nonresident insurance producer licensed in this state for property or casualty insurance from obtaining surplus lines insurance for policyholders through a surplus lines broker if the insurance producer uses a surplus lines broker licensed in this state for the transaction of the insurance with the surplus lines insurer. The surplus lines broker is responsible for compliance with the applicable provisions of this article. The insurance producer may pay a fee or share a commission with a surplus lines broker who procures the surplus coverage on behalf of the insurance producer. For the purposes of this subsection, "transaction" means the acts listed in section 20-106, subsection A.
D. For the transaction of surplus lines insurance, a surplus lines broker licensed in this state shall not receive a fee, commission, brokerage or other valuable consideration from any person who is not licensed in this state as any of the following:
1. An insurance producer pursuant to article 3 of this chapter.
2. A managing general agent pursuant to article 3.1 of this chapter.
3. A surplus lines broker pursuant to section 20-411, 20-411.01 or 20-411.02.