19-121.04. Disposition of petitions by secretary of state
A. Within seventy-two hours, excluding Saturdays, Sundays and other legal holidays, after receipt of the facsimile signature sheets and the certification of each county recorder, the secretary of state shall determine the total number of valid signatures by subtracting from the total number of eligible signatures determined pursuant to section 19-121.01, subsection A in the following order:
1. All signatures that were removed pursuant to section 19-121.01, subsection A, paragraph 1.
2. All signatures that were found ineligible by the county recorders and that were not subtracted pursuant to paragraph 1 of this subsection.
3. After determining the percentage of all signatures found to be invalid in the random sample, a like percentage from those signatures remaining after the subtractions performed pursuant to paragraphs 1 and 2 of this subsection.
B. If the actual number of signatures on the remaining sheets after any such subtraction equals or exceeds the minimum number required by the constitution or if the number of valid signatures as projected from the random sample pursuant to subsection A of this section is at least one hundred percent of the minimum number required by the constitution, the secretary of state shall issue the following receipt to the person or organization that submitted them:
___________________ signature pages bearing _____________ signatures for initiative (referendum) petition serial number ____ have been refused for filing in this office as provided by law. A total of ________________ signatures included on the remaining petition sheets were found to be ineligible. Of the total random sample of _______________ signatures, a total of __________ signatures were invalidated by the county recorders resulting in a failure rate of _________ percent. The actual number of remaining signatures for such initiative (referendum) petition number ________ are equal to or in excess of the minimum required by the constitution to place a measure on the general election ballot. The number of valid signatures filed with this petition, based on the random sample, appears to be at least one hundred percent of the minimum required or through examination of each signature has been certified to be greater than the minimum required by the constitution.
Secretary of State
The secretary of state shall then forthwith notify the governor that a sufficient number of signatures has been filed and that the initiative or referendum shall be placed on the ballot in the manner provided by law.
C. If the number of valid signatures as projected from the random sample is less than one hundred percent of the minimum number required by the constitution or if the actual number of signatures on the remaining sheets after any such subtraction from the random sample or after certification fails to equal or exceed the minimum required by the constitution, the secretary of state shall retain the original signature sheets until after the conclusion of any litigation regarding the measure or until the time has expired for any litigation to proceed. The secretary of state shall provide to the person or organization that submitted them a certified statement that, for the following reasons, the petition lacks the minimum number of signatures to place it on the general election ballot:
1. Signature sheets bearing secretary of state page numbers _________________ and bearing signatures of ____________ persons appeared on signature pages that were required to be removed.
2. A total of signatures on the remaining petition sheets were found to be ineligible.
3. A total of signatures included in the random sample have been certified by the county recorders as ineligible at the time such petition was signed and a projection from such random sample has indicated that _____________ more signatures are ineligible to appear on the petition.
A facsimile of the certifications of the county recorders under section 19-121.02 shall accompany the signature sheets returned to the person or organization that submitted them.