The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2021.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
13-3406. Possession, use, administration, acquisition, sale, manufacture or transportation of prescription-only drugs; misbranded drugs; classification; definition
A. A person shall not knowingly:
1. Possess or use a prescription-only drug unless the person obtains the prescription-only drug pursuant to a valid prescription of a prescriber who is licensed pursuant to title 32, chapter 7, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 21, 25 or 29 or is similarly licensed in another state.
2. Unless the person holds a license or a permit issued pursuant to title 32, chapter 7, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 25 or 29, possess a prescription-only drug for sale.
3. Unless the person holds a license or a permit issued pursuant to title 32, chapter 7, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 21, 25 or 29, possess equipment and chemicals for the purpose of manufacturing a prescription-only drug.
4. Unless the person holds a license or a permit issued pursuant to title 32, chapter 18, manufacture a prescription-only drug.
5. Administer a prescription-only drug to another person whose possession or use of the prescription-only drug violates this section.
6. Obtain or procure the administration of a prescription-only drug by fraud, deceit, misrepresentation or subterfuge.
7. Unless the person is authorized, transport for sale, import into this state or offer to transport for sale or import into this state, sell, transfer or offer to sell or transfer a prescription-only drug.
8. Possess or use a misbranded drug.
9. Manufacture, sell or distribute a misbranded drug.
B. A person who violates:
1. Subsection A, paragraph 9 of this section is guilty of a class 4 felony.
2. Subsection A, paragraph 2 or 7 of this section is guilty of a class 6 felony.
3. Subsection A, paragraph 1, 3, 4, 5 or 6 of this section is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor.
4. Subsection A, paragraph 8 of this section is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.
C. In addition to any other penalty prescribed by this title, the court shall order a person who is convicted of a violation of this section to pay a fine of one thousand dollars. A judge shall not suspend any part or all of the imposition of any fine required by this subsection.
D. A person who is convicted of a felony violation of this section for which probation or release before the expiration of the sentence imposed by the court is authorized is prohibited from using any marijuana, dangerous drug, narcotic drug or prescription-only drug except as lawfully administered by a practitioner and as a condition of any probation or release shall be required to submit to drug testing administered under the supervision of the probation department of the county or the state department of corrections, as appropriate, during the duration of the term of probation or before the expiration of the sentence imposed.
E. If a person who is convicted of a violation of subsection A, paragraph 2 or 7 of this section is granted probation, the court shall order that as a condition of probation the person perform not less than two hundred forty hours of community restitution with an agency or organization providing counseling, rehabilitation or treatment for alcohol or drug abuse, an agency or organization that provides medical treatment to persons who abuse controlled substances, an agency or organization that serves persons who are victims of crime or any other appropriate agency or organization.
F. For the purposes of this section, "misbranded drug" means a drug that is misbranded as prescribed in section 32-1967.