The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2022.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
A. It is unlawful for a person or entity to do any of the following:
1. Sell an authorized remote stun gun without keeping an accurate sales record as to the identity of the purchaser with the manufacturer of the authorized remote stun gun. The identification that is required by this paragraph shall be verified with a government issued identification. This requirement does not apply to secondary sales.
2. Knowingly use or threaten to use a remote stun gun or an authorized remote stun gun against a law enforcement officer who is engaged in the performance of the officer's official duties.
B. This section does not:
1. Preclude the prosecution of any person for the use of a remote stun gun or an authorized remote stun gun during the commission of any criminal offense.
2. Preclude any justification defense under chapter 4 of this title.
C. The regulation of remote stun guns and authorized remote stun guns is a matter of statewide concern.
D. A violation of:
1. Subsection A, paragraph 1 is a petty offense.
2. Subsection A, paragraph 2 is a class 4 felony.
E. For the purposes of this section:
1. "Authorized remote stun gun" means a remote stun gun that has all of the following:
(a) An electrical discharge that is less than one hundred thousand volts and less than nine joules of energy per pulse.
(b) A serial or identification number on all projectiles that are discharged from the remote stun gun.
(c) An identification and tracking system that, on deployment of remote electrodes, disperses coded material that is traceable to the purchaser through records that are kept by the manufacturer on all remote stun guns and all individual cartridges sold.
(d) A training program that is offered by the manufacturer.
2. "Remote stun gun" means an electronic device that emits an electrical charge and that is designed and primarily employed to incapacitate a person or animal either through contact with electrodes on the device itself or remotely through wired probes that are attached to the device or through a spark, plasma, ionization or other conductive means emitting from the device.