The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2022.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
8-823. Notice of taking into temporary custody
A. If a child is taken into temporary custody pursuant to this article, the interested person, peace officer or child safety worker taking the child into custody shall provide written notice within six hours to the parent or guardian of the child, unless:
1. The parent or guardian is present when the child is taken into custody, then written and verbal notice shall be provided immediately.
2. The residence of the parent or guardian is outside this state and notice cannot be provided within six hours, then written notice shall be provided within twenty-four hours.
3. The residence of the parent or guardian is not ascertainable, then reasonable efforts shall be made to locate and notify the parent or guardian of the child as soon as possible.
B. The written notice shall contain a signature line for the parent or guardian to acknowledge receipt of both written and verbal notices. The written and verbal notices shall contain the name of the person and agency taking the child into custody, the location from which the child was taken and all of the following information:
1. Specific reasons as to why the child is being removed. The notice shall list the specific factors that caused the determination of imminent danger.
2. Services that are available to the parent or guardian, including a statement of parental rights and information on how to contact the ombudsman-citizens aide's office and an explanation of the services that office offers.
3. The date and time of the taking into custody.
4. The name and telephone number of the agency responsible for the child.
5. A statement of the reasons for temporary custody of the child.
6. A statement that the child must be returned within seventy-two hours excluding Saturdays, Sundays and holidays unless a dependency petition is filed and a statement that a child in temporary custody for examination pursuant to section 8-821, subsection D, paragraph 2 must be returned within twelve hours unless abuse or neglect is diagnosed.
7. One of the following:
(a) If a dependency petition has not been filed or if the information prescribed in subdivision (b) is not available, a statement that if a dependency petition is filed, the parent or guardian will be provided a written notice no later than twenty-four hours after the petition is filed that contains the information prescribed in subdivision (b).
(b) In all other cases, the date, time and place of the preliminary protective hearing to be held pursuant to section 8-824 and the requirements of subsection D of this section.
8. A statement of the right of the parent or guardian to counsel and that counsel will be appointed pursuant to section 8-221 through the juvenile court if a dependency petition is filed and the person is indigent.
9. Information regarding the ability of the person about whom the report was made to provide a verbal, telephonic or written response to the allegations. A verbal response shall be included in the written report of the investigation. A written response, including any documentation, shall be included in the case file.
10. A statement that the hearing may result in further proceedings to terminate parental rights.
11. A statement that the parent or guardian must immediately provide to the department the names, the type of relationship and all available information necessary to locate persons who are related to the child or who have a significant relationship with the child. If there is not sufficient information available to locate a relative or person with a significant relationship with the child, the parent shall inform the department of this fact. If the parent or guardian obtains information regarding the existence or location of a relative or person with a significant relationship with the child, the parent or guardian shall immediately provide that information to the department.
12. A statement that the parent or guardian must be prepared to provide to the court at the preliminary protective hearing the names, the type of relationship and all available information necessary to locate persons who are related to the child or who have a significant relationship with the child.
C. The child safety worker shall provide the parent or guardian with the notice even if the parent or guardian refuses to sign the acknowledgment.
D. Immediately before the time of the preliminary protective hearing, the persons described in section 8-824, subsection B shall meet and attempt to reach an agreement about placement of the child, services to be provided to the child, parent or guardian and visitation of the child. The parties shall meet with their counsel, if any, before this meeting. Consideration shall be given to the availability of reasonable services to the parent or guardian and the child's health and safety shall be a paramount concern. The persons described in section 8-824, subsection C may attend the meeting to reach an agreement.
E. If a dependency petition is filed by the department, the child safety worker is responsible for delivering the notice of the preliminary protective hearing prescribed in subsection B, paragraph 7 of this section to the parent or guardian. In all other cases, the person who files the dependency petition is responsible for delivery of this notice to the parent or guardian. If the location of the parent or guardian is unknown, the person who is responsible for serving this notice shall make reasonable efforts to locate and notify the parent or guardian.