The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 54th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 54th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2020.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
A. Any person who acts as an advance fee loan broker shall register with the superintendent as provided in this chapter. A person who is not exempt under subsection B of this section and who advertises for, solicits or purports to be willing to make or procure a loan or extension of credit for an advance fee is presumed to be engaged in the business of an advance fee loan broker.
B. This chapter does not apply to:
1. Individuals not regularly engaged in the business of making or procuring loans or extensions of credit for an advance fee.
2. A person doing business as permitted by any law of any state or of the United States relating to banks, savings banks, trust companies, savings and loan associations, credit unions, insurance companies, consumer lenders or profit sharing and pension trusts.
3. A person licensed as a mortgage broker, a mortgage banker or a commercial mortgage banker pursuant to chapter 9 of this title.
4. A person who makes a loan with the person's own money or for the person's own investment.
5. A person licensed as a real estate broker or salesperson pursuant to title 32, chapter 20, article 2.
6. A person who is licensed to practice law in this state but who is not actively and principally engaged in the business of making or procuring loans or extensions of credit, if this person renders services in the course of the person's practice as an attorney.
7. An institutional investor as defined in section 6-971 unless the institutional investor advertises for, solicits or holds himself out as willing to make or procure for an advance fee a loan or extension of credit other than a commercial mortgage loan as defined in section 6-971.
8. This state including any political subdivision of this state.
9. The United States or any department or agency of the United States.