The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 56th Legislature, 1st Regular Session, which convenes in January 2023.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
45-599. Permit application; contents; correction of defective application; issuance of permit; fee
A. An application for a permit to construct a new well or replacement well in a new location shall be made on a form that is prescribed and furnished by the director and that includes:
1. The name and mailing address of the applicant.
2. The legal description of the land upon which the new well is proposed to be constructed and the name and mailing address of the owner of the land.
3. The legal description of the proposed location of the new well on the land.
4. If for a replacement well, the legal description of the land upon which the original well is located, the name and mailing address of the owner of the land, the legal description of the location of the original well on the land, the depth and diameter of the original well and evidence of proper abandonment.
5. The depth, diameter and type of casing of the new well.
6. Such legal description of the land upon which the groundwater is proposed to be used as may be required by the director to administer this chapter.
7. When construction is to begin.
8. The proposed use of the groundwater to be withdrawn.
9. The design pumping capacity of the new well.
10. The name and well driller's license number of the well driller who is to construct the well.
11. The estimated time required to complete the well, if more than one year from the date of receipt of the permit.
12. Such other information including any maps, drawings and data as the director may require.
B. Upon receipt of a permit application and the fee required by subsection J of this section, the director shall endorse on the application the date of its receipt. If the application is incorrect or incomplete, the director may request additional information from the applicant. The director may conduct independent investigations as may be necessary to determine whether the application should be approved or rejected.
C. The director shall approve an application for a permit for a new well or a replacement well in a new location if the proposed well complies with the rules adopted pursuant to section 45-598, subsection A and, if the proposed well is in the Santa Cruz active management area, if the location of the proposed well is consistent with the management plan for the active management area.
D. Except as provided in subsection E of this section, within sixty days of receipt of a complete and correct application and the fee required by subsection J of this section, the director shall approve or reject the application and mail notice of the action to the applicant.
E. If the director determines that an administrative hearing should be held before approving or rejecting an application, the director shall notify the applicant of the date of the hearing within sixty days of receipt of the complete and correct application and the fee required by subsection J of this section.
F. If at the request of the applicant the director determines that an emergency exists, the director shall expedite all decisions under this section.
G. If the application is approved, the director shall issue a permit and the applicant may proceed to construct the well. If the application is rejected, the applicant shall not proceed with construction of the well. The well shall be completed within one year of receipt of the permit, unless the director in granting the permit approves a longer period to complete the well. If the well is not completed within one year or the longer period approved by the director, the applicant shall file a new application before proceeding with construction.
H. The permit shall state the following:
1. The legal description of the land upon which the well may be constructed.
2. The legal description of the location of the new well on the land.
3. The depth and diameter of the well and type of casing.
4. The maximum pumping capacity of the well.
5. The legal description of the land upon which the groundwater will be used.
6. The use of the groundwater to be withdrawn.
7. The latest date for completing the well.
I. Section 45-114, subsections A and B govern administrative proceedings, rehearing or review and judicial review of final decisions of the director under this section. If an administrative hearing is held, it shall be conducted in the active management area in which the use is located.
J. An application for a permit filed under this section shall be accompanied by a filing fee of one hundred fifty dollars. The director shall deposit, pursuant to sections 35-146 and 35-147, all fees collected pursuant to this subsection in the well administration and enforcement fund established by section 45-606.