The Arizona Revised Statutes have been updated to include the revised sections from the 55th Legislature, 1st Regular Session. Please note that the next update of this compilation will not take place until after the conclusion of the 55th Legislature, 2nd Regular Session, which convenes in January 2022.
This online version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is primarily maintained for legislative drafting purposes and reflects the version of law that is effective on January 1st of the year following the most recent legislative session. The official version of the Arizona Revised Statutes is published by Thomson Reuters.
In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Agency" means any department, office, agency, commission, board or other instrumentality of this state specified in article 2 of this chapter regardless of whether monies are appropriated to such board.
2. "Committee" means the joint legislative audit committee.
3. "Committee of reference" means the appropriate standing committee of the house of representatives or senate that is appointed for the purpose of evaluating agencies subject to termination pursuant to this chapter.
4. "Special performance audit" means a performance audit of limited scope.
5. "Sunset review" means a systematic evaluation by the committee of reference under the supervision of the joint legislative audit committee, with the assistance of the appropriate agency, joint legislative budget committee, committees of reference, auditor general and support staff, to determine if the merits of the program justify its continuation rather than termination, or its continuation at a level less than or greater than the existing level. Such review shall be undertaken in the scope and detail the committee of reference deems appropriate and shall include, without limitation, whether there is a need for the program in state government and, if so, an assessment of the degree to which the original objectives of the program have been achieved expressed in terms of the performance, impact or accomplishments of the program and of the situation it was intended to address. Such review shall be coordinated with the performance audit procedures of the auditor general as set forth in chapter 7, article 10.1 of this title or of the committees of reference, whichever is appropriate.
6. "Terminate" or "termination" means the date provided for termination of legislative authority for the existence of a particular agency pursuant to article 2 of this chapter.